Monday, February 19, 2007

On Meatballs

Sometimes only meatballs will do. They're one of my foods that I cook when I am grumpy and I need to cook myself into a better humour. There's something about mulching everything together, rolling out the balls and plopping them into a vat of tomato sauce that I find incredibly soothing.

I once had a major arguement with a boyfriend over meatballs. He insisted that they had to be fried before being coated in the sauce, while I believe in poaching them. From the effort to my left, where they were fried, I still think I win.

So, my meatballs recipe goes a little like this. Take enough minced meat for one more person than is going to eat the dish and mix it with a couple of minced cloves of garlic, a very finely chopped onion that has been gently fried in some olive oil, a good handful of chopped parsley and whatever other herbs you have in the fridge and season with salt and pepper. One of those tiny Italian dried chillis is also nice or some fennel seeds. I use pork and beef for preference and this time also added a little chopped black pudding that I picked up thinking I might make a less saintly potato soup. Bind with a scant egg yolk, just enough to mulch things up. Roll into mouthsize balls and pop in the fridge to set. Meanwhile, mince a couple of white onions in the food processor and fry. Be warned, it's like mustard gas. Add a tin of tomatoes that you've also popped in the processor and a good glug of passata. When the sauce is cooked, add a couple of cups of full fat milk and then plop in the meatballs. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with brown rice if you're being good, spaghetti if you want to seduce someone.

And why made enough for one more than is eating? These meatballs are amazing in a sandwich the next day. Speaking of which, don't ever have the meatball marinara from Subway. It's totally bleugh and a meatball abomination...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home