Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Slanted Door, San Francisco


Slanted Door: Beef Pho
Originally uploaded by Suzi Edwards
The Slanted Door...so good I went back the next day.

Vietnamese food is one of my favorites, and I was spoiled in both London and Sydney. San Franciscans are also spoiled, with this modern Vietnamese restaurant that showcases a lot of the very delicious artisan produce that California has to offer.

Originally opened in 1995, the Slanted Door moved from its original home on Valencia, to a spot inside the Ferry Building overlooking the beautiful SF Bay. The menu is extensive, with around ten different sections, from Raw Bar to Rice. The restaurant is expansive, but the bar area is a boon for single travellers looking for a place to park their derrieres.

I was spoiled for choice, so I started with a lillet blanc, while I decided what to eat. Everything seemed to be shouting out to me "pick me, pick me" and the only way I could have tasted everything I wanted, would have been to have had about 20 friends with me. So to begin, some wood oven roasted Manila clams with chilies and crispy pork belly, followed by some imperial rolls with shrimp and pork, and the most incredible dipping sauce and then some kick-ass shrimp with roasted pineapple and garlic (breaking my usual moratorium on sweet with savoury). Everything was sparklingly fresh, served with plenty of zip and incredibly well balanced. Apart from the huge amount I had ordered.

I still felt I hadn't done justice to the Slanted Door; I'd barely scratched the surface of the appetizers. So I went back for lunch the next day. The pho (pictured), came with a beautiful selection of fresh herbs, amazing, raw Prather Ranch beef and a deeply-flavoured broth. But this was firmly upstaged by the Vietnamese sausage with oysters. I love meat with oysters, and this was the best combination of the two I have ever eaten. Musky, spicy sausage patties, with a side of teeny little Kusshi oysters from BC (yay, go Canadia). The oysters had each been sprinkled with a little tobiko, a little chili, a little citrus and fish sauce. Nothing to overpower them, just a little decoration to help them stand up to the sausage.

If I hadn't eaten at Manresa two days before, it would have been the most delicious thing I'd eaten all year.

Slanted Door is at 1 Ferry Building, #3. Call 415 861 8032 for reservations.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Joe Homs said...

Suzi, you should try Tu Lan on Market and 6th for an even better Vietnamese food experience.

It's a bit of a walk from the office, but worth the trip. Go with Jonny Leroy. He knows what's good there.

I guarantee it's better food than Slanted Door.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=market+and+6th,+sf,+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.204685,63.105469&ie=UTF8&ll=37.782197,-122.41029&spn=0.01082,0.015407&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=37.782018,-122.41003&panoid=xPesWFi-GFTIZ7Cb4zd3hg&cbp=12,207.02281101408397,,0,6.002785515320338

1:09 PM  
Blogger Suzi Edwards said...

Thanks Joe! I will add it to the list for my next trip to SF.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home