Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cupcakes on Pitt

There's something about a cupcake. I brought the box on the left into the office and there was lots of cooing and oohing. There's something about the scrummy moistness and the swirly frosting that makes the sanest of adults all excited. I reckon it's to do with getting to eat a whole cake. I'm a sucker for anything that I can have all by myself. Maybe it's a mini Melton Mowbray pork pie with a slick of English mustard. A crisp skinned poussin which I can devour with my fingers. A Vacherin Mont'Dor and a loaf of bread. A leg of lamb.

Cupcakes on Pitt reminded me of Peyton and Byrne in London, only with less frosting (this is no bad thing in my eyes, I am All About the Cake) but friendlier service. They have two branches, one in Bondi and one at 323 Pitt Street. Their best seller (and most delicious cake) was the Lemon Meringue Pie, with its sharp lemon curd filling and swirl of soft French meringue ontop. Slightly less sucessful was the Honeycomb, as the frosting was too sweet, but I heard great reports on the Milk Chocolate.

I'll be back, because as you can see from the photo, there's nothing like a box of cupcakes.

Cupcakes on Pitt, 323 Pitt Street (02) 9264 4644

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rohini said...

Now that's something I definately have to try while I'm here.
Thanks :)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Jason Yip said...

I hiked out there to get a bunch of cupcakes for Tracey's birthday. Being who I am, when the woman asked me what kinds I want, I just said, "I dunno, would you be able to make a selection for me?"

She said that she'd get me the selections that all the girls like, even being thoughtful enough to ask whether or not a cupcake with a candy heart on it would cause any trouble... :)

Definitely good attention to service.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Ian Holmes said...

nice cupcakes! long time no see. wish i'd known you were in australia, would've looked you up when we visited earlier this year. most of my rellies are back in melbourne now... give us a shout if you're ever in the san francisco bay area. cheers... Ian

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very similar experience to Jason when I bought some for a colleague's birthday. The guys at Cupcakes on Pitt asked what I wanted. I had no idea. They certainly made no fuss of making a selection for me. Not surprisingly they offered to make me coffee while I waited.

Incidentally, have you tried My Little Cupcake over in Neutral Bay? You can find them on the web at: http://www.mylittlecupcake.com.au/ These guys also make great cupcakes.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home